Follow me on a culinary adventure. The only rules...the recipe in question must contain alcohol, bacon or both. Hang on for a wild ride!

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Bacon Bourbon Popcorn

Now how can one go wrong with popcorn? In my research to find recipes to try for this blog, I found this one and HAD to try it! Even my popcorn purist hubby agreed.

It's also awesome because she has a video showing the process! Extremely helpful for me as I'm a visual learner. :o)

The helpful tips, modifications and learn-from-my-mistakes section:

* The recipe called for air popped or oil popped popcorn. I happen to live with an expert oil popper and therefore hubby was enlisted as assistant and popcorn popper.

* After extensive mathematical research, 5 quarts of popped popcorn equals roughly 1 1/4 cups unpopped popcorn.

* We found it easier to fry the bacon, then crumble as opposed to chopped and then fried.

* I don't know that it makes much difference, but I used dark brown sugar as that was all I had in my house.

* We used 1 lb of bacon.

* Have all ingredients measured and ready to go. I didn't and when your bacon isn't already cooked and chopped, your butter is turning brown, but you don't have the corn syrup and brown sugar ready to go, you're going to make it tougher on yourself than it needs to be and probably end up with a mess as shown below.

* Instead of putting the popcorn in the pans and pouring the caramel mixture over then stirring, we used large mixing bowls to mix popcorn and caramel mixture together first and then put in prepared pans.

* We ended up needing (1) 9x13 pan, (1) 2qt casserole dish and (1) 8x8 pan to hold all our popcorn.

* The assistant, AKA Hubby, recommends that he should also know the recipe completely to prevent the head baker from making mistakes such as, oh, I don't know, not adding the bacon at the right time (don't worry, we did, barely, but we made it!) But I kept asking him questions and he kept responding with, "Didn't you read the recipe?" The answer of course was yes, several times, but in the heat of the cooking, it's easy to forget. Best to have more than one person know what they're doing. :o)

* The assistant also recommends that a shot of bourbon prior to even starting the recipe would help.

All's well that ends well and the final product is total yum with a dash of yummy thrown in for good measure!



No comments:

Post a Comment