Follow me on a culinary adventure. The only rules...the recipe in question must contain alcohol, bacon or both. Hang on for a wild ride!

Friday, December 31, 2010

Speckkuchen


Speckkuchen is a New Year's tradition for my husband's family. This recipe is adapted from my mother-in-law's recipe. My mother-in-law is an awesome cook and does wonders with yeast doughs. I, on the other hand am yeast challenged. I've never successfully made a dough that required yeast. So while her original recipe calls for making a bread dough, I've created a short cut (after many years of trying many things) by buying Rhodes frozen dinner rolls.

Speckkuchen (roughly translated into Bacon cake cake bacon cake)

1 package (36 rolls) of Rhodes frozen dinner rolls
36oz of bacon
2 medium onions
1 egg, beaten

1. Place rolls on baking sheet and allow to thaw and rise a little.


2. Cut up the bacon into about 1 inch pieces and chop the onion.



3. Cook bacon and onion together until bacon is done, but not crispy (although you can go crispy if you want, it's just a different texture. My daughter actually likes it better crispy).


4. Flatten thawed dough into a disk shape and put about 1 TBSP filling in the center. I used the Pampered Chef small scoop to measure the filling.




4. Form into half circle shapes and seal with a fork.

5. Brush with beaten egg.

6. Bake in 350F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
The final product will vary in appearance as some will open up and some will stay closed, but they'll all taste baconlicious! We also almost always have leftover bacon and onion mixture. Use it in an omelet for a yummy New Year's Day breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment